A brand new Search Console report referred to as “Video pages” has prompted a lot angst amongst customers. I’ll clear up among the confusion on this put up.
What does the report present?
The report consists of two predominant sections:
- Pages containing listed movies. Google calls them “host” pages despite the fact that they could embed or hyperlink to the video, not host it. Google so far chooses one video per web page regardless of the precise quantity. And the identical video could be related to many pages.
- Pages with movies that Google couldn’t index for causes listed within the report.
What’s the which means of ‘Video listed’?
When it indexes a video, Google is conscious of the file. It makes use of the data within the file and on the web page to discern the which means — and thus the associated queries. That doesn’t imply, by the way, that Google will generate a video rich-snippet in search outcomes.
An listed video could also be eligible for an autoplay preview whereby searchers can view a brief clip when hovering over it, like on YouTube. Thus far, nevertheless, these previews work primarily for precise YouTube pages in search outcomes, however the report might sign Google’s intention to develop the characteristic.
Why isn’t my video listed?
Google lists many potential the explanation why a video just isn’t listed. The most typical are defective embed codes. That is typical for older websites that use non-YouTube embeds or a plugin. The repair usually is to replace the code and validate the web page in Search Console.
Different causes for not indexing embrace:
- Video is just too small or too giant. Ensure the dimensions is 140 to 1,080 pixels huge and no less than 140 pixels excessive.
- Video is linked however not embedded.
- Host web page just isn’t listed or crawled. The report doesn’t embrace pages outdoors of Google’s index — maybe as a result of a robots.txt directive, a canonical tag pointing to a unique URL, the noindex tag, or as a result of Google can not in any other case entry the web page.
How can I get my video listed?
A web page with a video that’s not within the “Video pages” report has two doable fixes:
- Wait. The report is new and can finally embrace extra pages. Furthermore, new pages take time to seem.
- Verify that the host web page is listed utilizing Search Console’s “URL inspection software.”
For an listed host web page, makes positive your video is seen and playable on that web page.
Moreover, implement lazy-loading in your movies to make sure the code doesn’t sluggish web page hundreds.
Lastly, use structured knowledge to extend the prospect of a video incomes a wealthy snippet. There are free video Schema.org mills for that function. Movies with Schema.org markup will seem in a separate Search Console “Enhancements” report.
The “Video pages” report is a useful addition to Search Console, particularly for websites that emphasize streaming. It will be important to not overthink the report, nevertheless. Repair the errors after which transfer on. I wouldn’t obsess over it.