Identical to Taylor Swift realizing which tracks will make Swifties swoon, the worth in clear content material appears apparent to B2B entrepreneurs. But it surely’s much less apparent to your stakeholders (and shoppers), particularly when advertising to a classy viewers.
You get accustomed to skepticism about plain language:
- “Shouldn’t we use the technical language our readers are used to?”
- “This feels too easy for an viewers of execs.”
- “Our readers are used to peer-reviewed journals … They aren’t the ‘skimming’ sort.”
For years, I’ve advocated for the facility of plain language – clear, concise communication that first-time readers can perceive with out breaking a psychological sweat.
Clear well being care content material could make the distinction between life and demise for sufferers. However sufferers aren’t the one readers preferring plain language. We got down to show that speculation and see how plain language content material impacts the B2B gross sales course of.
Learn what the examine discovered, together with data-driven takeaways that can assist you create plain-language content material.
Proving the worth of plain language
We surveyed B2B well being care professionals to grasp their emotions about B2B well being care gross sales and advertising supplies. We didn’t use the time period “plain language” in order to not sway respondents.
The analysis consisted of three checks. Every included an instance of B2B content material discovered “within the wild” and a revised, plain-language model. The choices have been unlabeled and randomized. Respondents didn’t know which model was the unique.
After seeing every model, the B2B marketer responded to a collection of questions, together with:
- How simple or troublesome is that this description to grasp?
- Do you think about the outline to be wordy or concise?
- Do you think about the outline to be formal or conversational?
- If you happen to have been in search of one of these product, how possible would you be to take a selected motion?
Lastly, respondents shared which model they most well-liked and why.
Eighty p.c of the surveyed B2B well being care decision-makers most well-liked the content material written in plain language. However that’s not all.
Plain language incites motion
Respondents additionally have been extra possible to reply to the name to motion after studying textual content written in plain language.
On this instance, each variations direct readers to request a demo of telehealth software program:
The unique model begins with the headline, Digital Care Administration, adopted by this textual content: “Our know-how is a white-label, HIPAA-compliant software program platform built-in with all the options and features wanted to follow any type of bodily or behavioral drugs appropriate for digital or hybrid care. The platform’s single, intuitive interface permits an environment friendly, efficient, easy-to-use digital go to to your sufferers and your suppliers.”
The plain language model begins with the headline, Telehealth Made Simple, adopted by this textual content: “Our telehealth software program gives all of the options you want to present affected person care. Designed for bodily or behavioral well being, the platform gives flexibility for care in individual, digital, or hybrid. The interface is simple for each sufferers and suppliers to make use of and is HIPAA compliant.
After studying the unique model, 44% stated they’d schedule a demo. After studying the plain language model, 73% stated they’d schedule a demo.
The findings from one other instance – teasers for a white paper – have been much more promising. After studying the plain language model, 68% stated they’d obtain the doc, whereas solely 22% stated they’d after studying the unique teaser.
Plain language isn’t solely most well-liked by B2B audiences; its use can enhance the chance they’ll convert.
Information-driven recommendations on utilizing plain language
To use the findings, it helps to grasp what the respondents most well-liked in regards to the plain language textual content:
- “The data was supplied by the usage of bullet factors that make studying simpler and extra concise.”
- “Direct, clear, simple to grasp – much less wasted time for busy practitioners.”
- “Will get to the purpose within the headline so I do know if I ought to learn additional.”
- “Extra accessible language, hotter tone hints at a paper that will likely be simpler to grasp, written for a broader viewers.”
- “It’s a lot clearer what this product really does and it’s less complicated to learn.”
In analyzing the open-ended responses to seek out the themes, we discovered B2B readers need advertising supplies which can be:
- Simple to grasp and accessible
- Easy and simple
- Simple to scan
- Conversational and relatable
How are you going to use this choice for plain language in your content material to draw readers and make them extra more likely to act? Take into account these methods, in keeping with this analysis:
- Make it about your reader: Craft content material that permits the viewers to simply see the way it pertains to them. It attracts extra readers and boosts your possibilities of conversion.
- Write benefit-focused headlines: Say in the beginning what the reader will achieve by consuming the content material.
- Use bulleted lists: Readers can take within the data sooner and extra simply keep in mind the factors made.
- Take away jargon: In well being care, for instance, the supposed viewers could also be physicians, however they usually share advertising supplies with non-clinical workers. Eradicating jargon makes your content material extra accessible.
- Use energetic voice: Make your content material clear and concise.
- Emphasize vital factors: Frontload and daring the must-read data.
- Write for cellular readers: Use quick paragraphs and useful visuals.
- Use phrases that encourage people to behave: Craft clear, compelling calls to motion.
persuade stakeholders of the worth of clear content material
Realizing the right way to create clear content material is simply half the battle. The opposite half requires persuading stakeholders to undertake this strategy.
Misinformation is rampant. Plain language is usually mistakenly equated with “dumbing down” content material. Folks additionally suppose educated audiences want technical content material that matches their studying stage, though analysis has dispelled this.
How are you going to get stakeholders on board with a plain language strategy? Listed here are three suggestions:
- Rethink the terminology: The time period “plain language” carries stigma. Use options like “clear communication” or “customer-centric writing.”
- Run an experiment: Counsel split-testing technical writing in opposition to plain language options. Let stakeholders see the distinction clear language could make.
- Method the dialog with knowledge: Share research highlighting the worth of plain language in B2B advertising.
Readability trumps complexity in each avenue of communication. Utilizing plain language is about greater than catering to your readers — it units the usual for clear communication typically. As entrepreneurs, it’s your job to maintain elevating the bar.
HANDPICKED RELATED CONTENT:
Cowl picture by Joseph Kalinowski/Content material Advertising Institute