Nikon has formally introduced the Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S – a brand new telephoto lens for the mirrorless Z mount. Initially teased alongside the Z9 announcement in October, the Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S is Nikon’s first professional telephoto lens designed from scratch for mirrorless, and presents a number of enhancements in comparison with its F-mount, AF-S equal.
The obvious new characteristic is a built-in teleconverter, which will increase the efficient focal size of the brand new lens on-demand to 560mm on the expense of a lower in most aperture to F4. Different enhancements embrace a 20% weight discount relative to the older AF-S, and 5.5EV of vibration discount, which will increase to ~6EV when the brand new lens is paired with the Z9.
The Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S debuts a model new coating. Nikon claims that the brand new Meso Amorphous Coat
Different options embrace the usage of a ‘voice coil’ AF motor of a sort first seen in Nikon’s 1-series lenses, approach again when. Nikon is branding this ‘Silky Swift Voice Coil Motor’ and guarantees it’ll ship quick, silent and really clean autofocus. That is aided by a brand new information mechanism and built-in ‘ABS’ encoder to make sure correct measurement of the place of the main focus parts. In voice coil motors (VCMs), autofocus is pushed utilizing a strong magnetic subject. How highly effective? Properly, that is the primary press launch that we will keep in mind seeing which warns in opposition to use of the product by anybody with a pacemaker.
In the meantime, the Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S debuts a model new coating. Nikon claims that the brand new Meso Amorphous Coat presents the perfect anti-reflection efficiency of any such coating in Nikon’s historical past, and will out-perform opponents with regards to resistance to flare and ghosting. The 400mm makes use of a combination of Meso Amorphous and Arneo coatings on totally different parts.
The lens incorporates 25 parts in 19 teams, and contains two ED glass parts, one Tremendous ED component, two Fluorite parts and an SR (Quick Wavelength refractive) component that bends blue mild rays greater than pink and inexperienced, to assist right chromatic aberrations.
The Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S will probably be accessible in late February at an MSRP of $13,999.95.
Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm F2.8 TC VR S Pattern pictures (Nikon official)
THE NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S: A brand new pinnacle of efficiency for sports activities, motion and wildlife shooters
Nikon’s Newest S-Line Tremendous-Telephoto Lens Goes the Distance with Breathtaking Picture High quality and a Constructed-in 1.4x Teleconverter
MELVILLE, NY (January 18, 2022) –Right now, Nikon introduced the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S, a excessive efficiency super-telephoto prime lens for the Nikon Z system. This quick S-Line lens arrives simply in time to enhance the unstoppable potential of the Nikon Z 9, and opens artistic prospects for professionals photographing sports activities and wildlife the place there is no such thing as a room for compromise on excessive attain and unimaginable sharpness.
“Nikon’s engineers proceed to carry new and thrilling developments to picture creators and dealing professionals. Instantly following the extraordinary response to the Z 9, the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens options the newest applied sciences ensuing from our experience in optical engineering,” mentioned Jay Vannatter, Government Vice President, Nikon Inc. “The shoppers for this lens usually discover themselves in conditions the place there is no such thing as a second probability to get a shot; this lens takes full benefit of latest applied sciences made doable by the Z mount and offers skilled shooters an edge to seize the decisive second with exceptional picture high quality, underneath any type of mild.”
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S has unprecedented rendering capabilities, mixed with a myriad of latest optical applied sciences that improve the picture high quality and efficiency. This lens incorporates a fixed f/2.8 aperture that gives stellar low-light capabilities in addition to lovely bokeh and topic isolation from the background. For prolonged attain, that is the primary NIKKOR Z lens to make the most of a inbuilt 1.4x teleconverter to immediately enhance the focal size to 560mm. This characteristic permits photographers to seamlessly modify as an athlete strikes downfield, or to seize environmental and close-up pictures of nature with out altering lenses or positions.
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S is the lightest lens of its kind, engineered with excellent steadiness, intuitive controls and climate sealing appropriate for skilled use. This lens can be the primary to make use of Nikon’s newly developed optical applied sciences reminiscent of a Silky Swift Voice Coil Motor1 (SSVCM), enabling high-speed, excessive accuracy AF with near-silent operation. This new S-Line lens additionally options Nikon’s new Meso Amorphous Coat, which presents the very best anti-reflection capabilities in NIKKOR historical past.
Major options of the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S:
- A built-in 1.4x teleconverter allows a seamless and speedy change from a 400mm to a 560mm focal size, utilizing a change conveniently positioned near the digicam operator’s proper hand. The rise in focal size may be made with out altering posture to keep away from disturbing wildlife, whereas minimizing the intrusion of mud usually related to standard teleconverter meeting. For much more attain, the lens additionally accepts Z TELECONVERTERS TC-1.4x and TC-2x for a most attain of 784mm and 1120mm, respectively.
- The lightest lens of its kind with a inbuilt teleconverter, weighing in at roughly 6.5lbs (2950 g), which is sort of two kilos lighter (approx. 20% much less) than the NIKKOR AF-S 400mm f/2.8FL ED VR. The usage of Fluorite parts additionally contribute to its diminished weight.
- The newly developed Meso Amorphous Coat presents the perfect anti-reflection efficiency in NIKKOR lens historical past. Whatever the instructions of incident mild, this superior new coating presents an anti-reflection impact that’s superior to that of Nano Crystal Coat, vastly suppressing ghosting and flaring brought on by incident mild from numerous instructions.
- The brand new SSVCM allows quick, extremely correct, quiet AF management, and is optimized to maneuver giant parts with the utmost precision. The SSVCM works together with a brand new information mechanism that allows the weather to maneuver easily, additional growing accuracy.
- The lens development consists of 25 parts in 19 teams; two ED glass parts, a super-ED glass component, two light-weight fluorite lens parts and an SR lens component are integrated within the optical method, serving to to compensate for aberrations successfully, together with chromatic aberration.
- Constructed-in Vibration Discount (VR) gives as much as 5.5 stops of compensation2, even when the built-in teleconverter is in use. Synchro VR is out there when paired with the Nikon Z 9.
- Designed with a rugged magnesium alloy physique and sturdy climate sealing on numerous parts together with movable components of the lens barrel and a rubber gasket across the lens mount, making certain superior dust- and drip-resistant efficiency3. Moreover, a fluorine coat with antifouling efficiency is utilized to the floor of the entrance component, repelling water droplets and mud.
- Presents a number of customizable operate buttons, together with a management ring and a brand new Fn Ring that may recall a spotlight place shortly with the Reminiscence Recall operate.
Pricing and Availability
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens will probably be accessible in late February 2022 for a prompt retail value (SRP) $13,999.95*. For extra details about the newest Nikon merchandise, together with different NIKKOR Z lenses and the whole assortment of Z collection cameras, please go to nikonusa.com.
Firmware for the cameras have to be up to date to the newest accessible variations earlier than use.
- A brand new AF drive system actuator that mixes a voice coil motor (VCM) and a information mechanism developed by Nikon. The voice coil motor is a motor through which a coil reciprocates in a robust magnetic subject created by a robust magnet.Warning: Don’t use this product in case you have a pacemaker or use different medical units. The magnets on this product may trigger medical units to malfunction.
- Primarily based on CIPA Normal. This worth is achieved when hooked up to a digicam with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) sensor, with the digicam’s VR operate set to “NORMAL”.
- Thorough dust- and drip-resistance shouldn’t be assured in all conditions or underneath all situations.
*SRP (Urged Retail Value) listed solely as a suggestion. Precise costs are set by sellers and are topic to vary at any time.